Post-Production Reflection Post

I would like to start by saying how pleased I was with our performance last Tuesday. I thought we did an excellent job of putting together all the disparate pieces our composers created and making them work as a whole. While the performance wasn’t perfect by any means, I thought that given the short amount of time in which we put together the opera, the performance went really well. While I wish we had had more time to organize and rehearse the opera, I felt that the parts of the performance that went particularly well were the parts of the opera that we had rehearsed the most. I also feel that the parts that went off the best were the parts where we had fun. While more rehearsal time would have been nice, I think our opera was at its best when the performers simply had fun with material. This can be seen in the opening drinking song and the final scene where the performers weren’t thinking too hard about what they were doing and instead focused on enjoying what they were doing. The parts that went less well were the ones where the performers, whether because of the complexity of the music or because of the lack of rehearsal, were thinking too hard about what they were doing and didn’t have fun with what they were doing. If I were to do this project again I would like to have a clear timetable for when things need to get done (eg when pieces need to be composed by, etc) and a firm rehearsal schedule where the rehearsals occur well before the actual performance.
In thinking about the music while the pieces turned out to create a cohesive whole, I think that each composer (of which there were three) was influenced by different composers but because of our musical training and schooling also shared a large number of musical influences. As a group before we started composing it was agreed that we were going to try and do essentially a pastiche of various compositional styles from the whole history of opera. Some of those historical efforts are more obvious than others, but I think in the end the composers (or at least two of the composers) composed their pieces in their own styles. The fact that all of these pieces ended up sounding alike speaks more to a common musical background than to similar compositional styles.