Day -1

I have a sense that I’m almost done with something… My to-do list only has a couple of things unchecked, the suitcase is completely packed and only a couple of things left for my backpack (can you believe I fit everything for a semester in one hiking backpack? I’m impressed with myself… I’m not normally a super-light packer), I haven’t quite finished all the pre-trip reading, but I think that will happen on the super-long trip (my flight from Dulles to Johannesburg looks like it’s 24 horus, because of time changes….), I’ve said most of my goodbyes, and I’m sort of at the point where nervousness and excitement fade away, and I’m left with the realization that it’s happening.  That’s it.  I’m going to miss everyone, and I’m enjoying a last couple meals that I know I won’t get for a while (hello, iddlis and spinach salads!),  but in general I’m already mentally gone.  I am feeling WAY underprepared for this trip– I’m suddenly realizing that I know almost nothing about Madagascar, and I feel really ignorant and like I’m going to be a bumbling american coming in, expecting that I’ll be fine when I really have no idea what it’s going to be like, especially to live there, not just visit.  I definitely have  enough reading to fill that long plane ride up!