Cheshire

Late last weekend, I found out there were extra tickets for the International Society’s trip to Chester, a small, traditional town south of Manchester. We’d been planning on visiting North Wales but couldn’t because of time so I thought it would be fun to see a traditional English town. It was indeed worlds different from Manchester. It was cold and wintry the day we went and the whole village was filled with Christmas lights and wooden booths selling mulled wine, wooden toys, and crafts of all kinds. If ever there were a scene that looked like a picture print by Currier and Ives, it’s Chester, England.

In the morning, we went on a walking tour of the town and saw the beautiful cathedral there, the ancient town walls, and the amphitheater where people gathered to watch executions. When we stopped by a point on the tour near a waterfall, a group of students asked if I would take their picture by it. While I was taking the photo, none of us realized that the rest of our tour had left without us. After we realized that we had definitely lost them, we headed back towards the center of the city. On our way there, we stopped to take pictures at an old bell tower where it was really crowded and I accidentally lost them too. So I headed back towards the Christmas market and had the best pulled pork sandwich that ever existed from a guy slow roasting it outside. Luckily, Chester is about the size of a thumbtack and everywhere I went, I ran into people from the society I knew. The cathedral was my favorite part of the visit, it was gorgeous and warm and inside there was a chorus singing christmas songs.┬áIn the afternoon, I sat in a coffee shop and watched shoppers and christmas street performers go by. It was really fun to see a traditional English town like that because it was so different from anywhere I’ve been here.